Carillon Miami Wellness Resort
Ocean Spa, $$$ (from $695)
Let’s say you love Southern Florida and Miami in particular — year-round sunshine, wide beaches, the world-class art collections at Pérez Art Museum Miami and de la Cruz Collection, dinner under the twinkly lights at Mandolin Aegean Bistro, overpriced shopping in the Design District. But let's also say you don’t love a crazy scene and that whole and get-me-outta-here spring break South Beach vibe. And while we're at it, let’s say you have a newfound appreciation for your health after the two years you've just lived through. Where's a sun-seeking, wellness-minded, luxury-appreciating traveler to go?
This one's easy: Carillon Miami Wellness Resort, the super swank Miami resort that gets you both close to and far from the action — and very in touch with your very best self.
“Wellness your way” is the motto around here, and, indeed, the endless array of offerings could please anyone interested in some healthy action, whether that’s just a quick workout class, a weekend tune-up, or a full mind-body, age-defying reboot through a blends of Eastern and Western practices.
In its past life, this was an outpost of Canyon Ranch, the ne plus ultra spa pioneer, who left behind a strong resort spa foundation that Carillon has taken to new heights — with innovative and industry-leading responses to post-pandemic needs, fears, and desires. Carillon met Covid head-on, developing not only the latest high-tech cleaning protocols, but also no-touch spa therapies for mind and body.
Of course, this is Miami, which also means fun in the sun is de rigueur. Here, too, Carillon obliges with an expansive beach and four swimming pools. The rooms are enviably spacious and come in one- or two-bedroom configurations, with living rooms and full kitchens.
At a Glance
The Vibe: "Wellness your way," they promise, and they mean it, with a dizzying array of offerings.
Standout Detail: The spa. It's the largest on the Eastern Seaboard (at 70,000 square feet, if you’d like to count), and Carillon needs all that room for what they offer. Here's a short list:
- Touchless Therapies: Feel refreshed without having to get too close to another person through seven offerings, such as Himalayan Salt touchless neck and back massages, the Halotherapy and Infrared detox suite, and Vibrgenix, a no-sweat workout that is purportedly the equivalent of an hour of cardio.
- Full-body cryotherapy, if you want to get in touch with your inner Walt Disney.
- More than 160 workout classes, including Off Broadway Dance, TRX Strength, and Buff Ballet Booty.
- A two-story indoor rock wall.
- A massive two-story gym with all the latest gear and expansive Atlantic views.
- Tons of Eastern and Western (and alternative and aesthetic) treatments and circuits at Aemotio Spa, the more innovative of which include color therapy, steam bath with aromatherapy, a Spa Dream Crystal Quartz Massage Bed (to balance you all out), the Euro-style Thermal Experience with a Finnish sauna and Arctic Mist Igloo. An igloo!
- A new partnership with The Biostation, a medically-minded anti-aging wellness center with the tagline “Replenish life. Restore beauty. Defy Age.” and retreats and programs for hormone replacement therapy, sexual health, weight loss, and more.
This Place Is Perfect For: A healthy getaway.
Rooms You won't want for space in rooms that are among the biggest in town. The 150 one- and two-bedroom suites are more like mini apartments, with a separate living room with sofa bed, bedrooms with one king or two queen beds, and full kitchens with high-end appliances. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer beach or city views; some rooms have balconies. In-room amenities include spa-style bathrooms, two big TVs, Frette sheets, and Nespresso machines.
On Site: Beach, and a lot of it: 750 linear feet. Four pools: Sunrise, Sunset, Cabana, and adults-only Atlantic on the rooftop. Ample and flexible spaces can accommodate events of all sizes and occasions, both professional (meetings and retreats) and personal (family gatherings or weddings).
Food + Drink: The Strand serves contemporary Mediterranean fare made with organic ingredients from local farms from breakfast through dinner. Everything is as healthy as can be, but that doesn't mean you can't order pizzas, rigatoni, ravioli, tacos, and T-bone. Or you can assemble the protein-veg-starch feast from the Wellness section of the menu. Seaglass Cafe at Cabana Pool serves light bites (chips and guac, watermelon salad, prosecco) straight to your pool or beach lounger. The Corner Store has pastries, sandwiches, juices, and coffees.
What to Do Nearby
If you can tear yourself away from the resort, the city awaits. As we wrote in the intro, our local favorites that would appeal to a luxury-minded crowd include Pérez Art Museum Miami, de la Cruz Collection, lunch and dinner at Fiola Miami in Coral Gables and Mandolin Aegean Bistro (with post-meal shopping at the Mrs. Mandolin boutique next door). South Beach favorites include sandwiches at La Sandwicherie, shopping the latest styles at The Webster, and the art exhibits at The Bass.
Keep Exploring Miami
Check out our extensive Miami guide.